Monday, June 6, 2011

There are no borders in rodeo!

On the Victoria Day long weekend holiday Monday we enjoyed a lazy morning before heading out to Falkland, a very small town about half an hour from here, to BC's oldest rodeo, the Falkland Stampede. It was the final day of the professional competition, and we had a fantastic afternoon taking in all on offer. It was the first rodeo for us, and we were joined by Frank's friend Mike, who was able to explain a lot to us!

Those who knew me as a child will remember my catch cry, "It makes me feel sick." You will be happy to know that Liam has my excellent sensitive nose and on getting out of the car in the carpark promptly spewed because of the 'fresh' smell!!!! That's my boy!


Bare back riding

The Western Thunder troup of female show horse riders came out first in yellow shirts, white pants and with gold glitter on the horses. The US and Canadian national anthems were sung and flags paraded around the arena. The first event kicked off (parden the pun!) at one, and it was the bare back riding. I must say my stomach was in my mouth and I thought I may not be able to cope with it. The riders looked like they were made of rubber, with their heads and backs being thrown against that of the horse. After a couple of riders, though, I had come to terms with it! For me this was the most shocking event and I was amazed that there were no serious injuries!

Steer roping


In addition to that event we saw steer roping (horns), steer roping (horns and hind legs), ladies' barrell racing and the bucking bulls. These were mean looking animals! Liam joined in the kids' calf chase, where three calves were chased around the arena by 60 children. The calves had ribbons on their tails and those kids who got the ribbons received a prize.




There was a rodeo clown who bantered with the commentator throughout the afternoon. The atmosphere was great and we had a fantastic day there.


The view from the stand

The clown


No comments:

Post a Comment